Busy, Busy, Busy

Forgive me for I have sinned, it’s been 2 weeks since my last conf……errr I mean I haven’t posted for over two weeks because I’ve been very busy training and not had much access to a computer.

Everything is going really well, couldn’t be better in fact, I’m feeling fit, fast and strong. The heavy training, although making me very tired feels easier than I thought it would and I’m recovering well and able to train the next day.

My running is coming along nicely, I’ve been doing long runs after work of between 16-18 miles following on from either a tempo run that morning of 3-5 miles. Never more than 21 miles in one day. I’ve also been running twice on tuesdays with an hour in the morning and 90 minutes at night. The key to the runing has been to visualise in my head where I would be on the course in Frankfurt and trying to work out what pace adjustments I’d need to make to reach my goal of a sub 4 marathon.

The biking has gone really well which was brought home to me on Sunday when myself and Andy took part in “The Struggle” a 68 mile cyclosportive with over 1400m of climbing. It took in some serious climbs, I thought Birdy Brow was the worst, but the infamous Nick O’Pendle wasn’t that far behind. We then took in the long, seemingly never ending climb of Waddington Fell before heading back to Mysercough through the hair pins of the Trough of Bowland. I was really pleased with how well I climbed, but more so with how well I recovered, I was able to sustain some decent speeds towards the end of between 17-20mph without it feeling hard. The weather didn’t help as it was very windy and then it soaked us with a monsoon, I was pouring water out of my socks at the end. As always it was great riding with Andy, and we finished in 4:38.

The day before I’d got the Roo back from Royles, all fixed and good as new. I’m going to take it out for a spin on Thursday, can’t wait.

The swimming is also going well, I’ve been fitting a couple of pool sessions in a week and again its really starting to pay off. We had the second Open Water swimming session last night and although it wasn’t as cold as 8 degrees which it was last time it was still bloody freezing !! I got an instant ice cream headache when I dived in, which lasted for about 300m until all my face was completely numb with the cold and it didn’t matter anymore. I’m swimming with confidence, some of which must stem from my new wetsuit ( Orca 3.8 ) which just feels brilliant in the water. Its really bouyant, which for a weak swimmer like me is great, feels like I’m gliding through the water. And believe me when I’m surrounded by 2999 pairs of wailing arms and legs in Frankfurt, I’ll need all the help I can get. It was hard work last night as it was very windy, so the lake seemed to have waves coming at you in every direction. I swam 1700m in 34:10 which I was very pleased with, I would have done another lap if I didn’t have a stitch.

Been out for an hours tempo run this morning and planning a 90 minute run tonight, should be fun.

Less than 7 weeks to go now, and I really can’t wait to get my racing head on. I’ve entered Nantwich sprint on the 31st May and Liverpool Olympic on the 21st June.

Bring it on !


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s